Berkeley Maps & Tour

Libraries

Doe Library

A principal campus research resource, Doe Library is named for Charles Franklin Doe, who came from Maine in 1857 as a schoolteacher and made his fortune in California. He left a quarter of his estate to the university for construction of a new library. The Beaux Arts building — featuring the magnificently restored North Reading Room and the cozy Morrison Library — was the centerpiece of architect John Galen Howard's classical campus design. The placement of Athena, the Greek goddess of wisdom, over the main entrance reflects the UC founders' aspiration that its flagship campus would be the "Athens of the West." The building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The Gardner Stacks, a four-story underground addition, opened in 1995 to provide more space for library holdings. [map]

Morrison Library

Morrison Library opened in 1928 as a reading room providing an ambient atmosphere for students to take a break from the rigors of academic life. An architectural treasure of the Berkeley campus, Morrison Library (on the first floor of the Doe Library) offers comfortable seating for leisurely reading, and maintains a circulating collection of newly published fiction and non-fiction. Morrison Library also has a limited collection of circulating audiobooks, subscriptions to several popular magazines and a few daily newspapers. [map]

Bancroft Library/University Archives

Home to many special collections, this library began with an extensive trove of materials on California and Western history donated by Hubert Howe Bancroft in the 19th century. The Bancroft includes the Mark Twain Papers, the Regional Oral History Office, the UC Archives, and other collections and artifacts. The building (entrance on the east side of Doe Library), designed by Arthur Brown Jr., reopened in 2009 after a major seismic upgrade; its renovated interior is among the campus's most beautiful spaces. [map]

Starr East Asian Library

Berkeley's vast collection of East Asian manuscripts and artifacts — assembled over the past century — is housed in this library, the first freestanding structure at a U.S. university erected solely for East Asian collections. The East Asian Library is home to more than 900,000 volumes, primarily in Chinese, Japanese and Korean, plus thousands of manuscripts and rubbings, and the largest and most valuable collection of historic Japanese maps outside of Japan. It is also the largest U.S. academic repository of materials on the People's Republic of China. The library is named for the late Cornelius Vander Starr, an insurance pioneer deeply interested in Asia and a major donor to the library's building fund. [map]

Moffitt Library

An open-stack library for undergraduates, Moffitt Library is one of the busiest undergraduate libraries in the nation. Named for James K. Moffitt, an 1886 Berkeley graduate and a UC Regent from 1911-48, it was designed by John Warnecke. The building also houses the popular Free Speech Movement Café, which opened in 2000 as a tribute to the Free Speech Movement of 1964 and to Mario Savio, a leader in that struggle. [map]

Hargrove Music Library

Home of the No. 1 academic music library in the United States, this high-tech building is located in the campus's southeast "arts quadrangle." Hargrove Music Library houses some 200,000 volumes of printed music, books and periodicals; more than 50,000 sound and video recordings; and extensive holdings of manuscripts and other rare materials. The collection serves the diverse teaching and research needs of the music department, which offers a general undergraduate major; graduate programs in musicology, ethnomusicology and composition; and a variety of performance activities. [map]

Howison Philosophy Library

The Howison Philosophy Library is located on the third floor of Moses Hall. Its collection originated as the personal library of George Howison, the founding member of the Berkeley philosophy department, and it now includes 60 periodicals and over 10,000 monographs. The Department holds colloquia and other events in the Library. Although Howison Library is not a circulating library, it is open to the general public. [map]

Bioscience & Natural Resources Library

The entrance to the Marian Koshland Bioscience and Natural Resources Library (on the second floor of the Valley Life Sciences Building) features a 65 million year-old Triceratops skull and a cast of a baby Triceratops skull. New books and unbound journals are on display. There are several comfortable study areas and group study rooms. PCs are available to access the catalogs, library databases, electronic journals, and the Internet. The Life Sciences Microcomputer Facility provides access to word processing and e-mail. [map]

Environmental Design Library

The Environmental Design Library was formed in 1964 by the merger of four departmental libraries: Architecture; Landscape Architecture; City and Regional Planning; and Decorative Arts. The library supports the research and teaching of the College of Environmental Design. The Raymond Lifchez and Judith Lee Stronach exhibit cases feature curated displays, highlighting materials from the College of Enivronmental Design Archives and from the library's rare book and circulating collection. Study tables and comfortable seating are located throughout the library. [map]

Anthropology Library

The Anthropology Library was established in 1956 and is part of the Anthropology complex which includes the Department of Anthropology, the Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology, the Archaeological Research Facility, and the Folklore Archive. The collections include academic works covering socio-cultural anthropology, traditional cultures, archaeology, folklore methods and theory, as well as physical anthropology. Comfortable seating areas and public PCs make the George and Mary Foster Anthropology Library a pleasant place to study. [map]

Go to Tour Locations