The builders of Berkeley
15 October 2003
The generosity of private donors has been central to the success of the University of California since its founding in 1868. Many of the most famous campus landmarks bear the names of benefactors, such as Sather Gate and Hearst Gymnasium, Doe Memorial Library and the Tang Center, Boalt Hall and the Haas School of Business.
Hundreds of other staunch supporters have sustained the Berkeley campus over the decades in ways that no architect could be commissioned to memorialize. They have provided books and laboratories, scholarships and fellowships, endowed chairs and professorships, athletics programs and much more — all contributions to the excellence that is Berkeley’s hallmark.
The dedication on Sept. 25 of a campus monument honoring these “Builders of Berkeley,” past and present, ensures that their names will be remembered by future generations. One granite panel of the monument on the terrace of Doe Library is nearly filled by the names of the past 135 years’ most generous donors, but a facing panel is entirely blank, awaiting the inscription of the next century’s honor roll. We present here a few images of significant donors from Berkeley’s history, whose names (though not always their faces) will be familiar to many.