Tips on getting your op-ed or letter to the editor published
Do you have expertise on a timely topic, or an opinion to share with the public about a current event?
Here are some general guidelines for writing op-eds:
- Make sure your op-ed has a news hook – that it's about an issue in the news. Submit it immediately.
- Choose a newspaper to target and learn its policies. Many papers, for example, won't accept op-eds longer than 600 words and require an exclusive submission.
- Forcefully state your opinion, back it up with fresh facts and end with a brief conclusion.
- If you e-mail your manuscript, don't send an attachment. Many media outlets won't open it.
- Include a short biographical description of yourself.
If you need more information or help, Contact Media Relations.