NEWS RELEASE, 11/21/97
Gilman Hall on the UC Berkeley campus is now an official National Historic Chemical Landmark
The world's largest scientific organization, the American Chemical Society (ACS), has designated Gilman Hall on the University of California at Berkeley campus a National Historic Chemical Landmark. The designation recognizes the important contributions to chemical research and teaching made by the faculty and students in Gilman Hall, especially during the years prior to 1950.
ACS President Paul S. Anderson presented College of Chemistry Dean Alexis T. Bell with a plaque on Nov. 20 marking the designation. The inscription reads:
UC Berkeley emeritus professors Kenneth S. Pitzer and Glenn T. Seaborg spoke at the ceremony commemorating the designation, as did Michael Kasha, professor at Florida State University and the last student of the late G. N. Lewis.
Designed by John Galen Howard, the building was dedicated in March, 1918, the 50th anniversary year of the University. It was named for Daniel Coit Gilman, president of the University of California from 1872 to 1875. Room 307 Gilman, where Glenn Seaborg and his coworkers identified plutonium as a new element in 1941, was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1966.
Gilman Hall has been used continuously by the College of Chemistry for 80 years. Today it is occupied by the Department of Chemical Engineering, which is now celebrating its 50th anniversary.
The American Chemical Society is a nonprofit scientific
and educational organization of more than 152,000 chemists and chemical
engineers. Its National Historic Chemical Landmarks Program recognizes this
country's scientific and technical heritage and acknowledges particularly
significant achievements in chemistry and chemical engineering. Mary F.
Singleton of Pleasanton is Chair of the California Section.
Send comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org